The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is an all India entrance examination conducted by 11 National Law Universities for admissions to their under-graduate and post graduate degree programmes (LL.B & LL.M). The 11 participating NLUs in the order of their establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU).
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR).
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU).
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS).
- National Law University, Jodhpur(NLU).
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU).
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU).
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU).
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL).
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU).
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS).
CLAT was conceptualized and implemented pursuant to a case filed at the Supreme Court of India highlighting the hardships of students who would have to appear for several separate entrance examinations. Prior to the case being decided, the Ministry of Human Resource Development brokered a settlement between the various law schools to conduct a common, all India entrance examination which was labeled as CLAT.
The Under-Graduate Programme
As per the respective statutes of the participating NLUs, to be eligible to appear in CLAT-2015, a candidate should have obtained a Higher Secondary School/ Intermediate (10+2) or its equivalent certiﬁcate from a recognized Board with not less than 45% marks in aggregate (40% in case of SC/ST candidates) and should be below 20 years of age as on 1 July 2015 (22 years in case of SC/ST/Persons with Disability (PWD) candidates). The candidates who are appearing in March/April 2015 or have appeared in the qualifying examination and are awaiting results are also eligible to appear in the test. However,such candidates must submit the proof of having passed the qualifying examination with the required percentage, as the case may be, at the time of admission, failing which, the candidate shall be ineligible for admission to the Course.
The Post-Graduate Programme
The Post-Graduate Programme
To be eligible to appear in CLAT-2015, a candidate should have obtained an LL.B./a ﬁve year integrated LL.B./any other equivalent degree from a recognized University with not less than 55% marks in aggregate (50% in case of SC/ST candidates). The candidates who have passed the qualifying degree examination through/ supplementary/compartment or repeat attempts are also eligible for appearing in the test and taking admissions provide that such candidates will have to produce the proof of having passed the qualifying examination with the requisite percentage of marks, as the case may be, on the date of their admission or within the time allowed by the respective Universities. The candidates who have appeared or are appearing in the qualifying degree examination by March/April 2015 are also eligible to appear in the test. Such candidates may submit the ﬁnal results of the qualifying examination with the requisite percentage, as the case may be, within the time frame prescribed by the respective Universities and shall be provided provisional admission only.
Application Form and Information
- There is only one mode of application (i.e. online) which can be accessed by a candidate after registering himself/herself on the CLAT website by signing up & creating a LOGIN ACCOUNT. The Online Application Form can be submitted only from 1st January, 2015 to 31st March, 2015 (11:59 p.m.). The submitted Online Application Form in PDF format and other details will be available and accessible in the LOGIN ACCOUNT of the candidate.
- Copies of the ﬁlled in Online Application Form or uploaded certiﬁcates/documents should not be sent to the CLAT Office.
iii. The Hall-Ticket/Admit Card can be accessed /downloaded by the candidate through the personal LOGIN ACCOUNT. The candidate is required to take the printout of the Hall-Ticket / Admit Card to the Examination Hall.
- Candidates applying must visit and carefully read the instructions given at the CLAT-2015 website (www.clat.ac.in).
- Incomplete application or application in any mode other than online or application after the last date and time shall not be considered. It shall be the obligation of the candidate to ﬁll the Online Application Form in a timely manner. The Organizing University, i.e. Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow shall not be responsible in anyway.
Documents to Be Uploaded during Online Application
The original certiﬁcates/documents issued by the competent authority as speciﬁed in the CLAT- 2015 Information Brochure are to be submitted to the allotted University only at the time of admission. The relevant photocopies of the certiﬁcates/documents, photograph and signatures of the candidate and parent/guardian need not be attested in support of one’s claim for admission are to be uploaded while ﬁlling the Online Application Form.
- The scanned photocopies of the documents to be uploaded in the PDF/JPG format by all the candidates are:
(a) BirthCertiﬁcate (If not available then Standard X passing certiﬁcate issued by a recognised Board or Passport can be uploaded.
(b) Standard X Marksheet
(c) Qualifying Examination Marksheet/Certiﬁcate such as 10+2 or its equivalent examination certiﬁcate from a recognized Board (for UG Courses).
(d) Qualifying Examination Marksheet/Certiﬁcate such as LL.B. or its equivalent examination certiﬁcate from a recognized University (for PG Courses).
(e) Front facing Passport size photograph with clear lenses (3.5 cms x 4.5 cms) [JPG Format, size 100 kb]
(f) Signature of candidate [JPG Format, size 100 kb]
- The scanned photocopies of the documents to be uploaded in the PDF format by a candidate depending on the applicability are:
(a) Latest Category Certiﬁcate (SC/ST/OBC)